Don’t just work for a market leading global company. Help grow one.
The Global Merchant Services (GMS) Pricing team is responsible for the single largest source of American Express’ revenue: Merchant discount revenue. The team works closely with multiple business partners to determine the ideal pricing structure to encourage merchant acceptance of American Express, while striving to improve coverage and merchant satisfaction. Ultimately, we drive merchant revenue and profit growth through customer-centric pricing principles, more flexible pricing architecture and innovative pricing solutions.
The Manager of Merchant Pricing – EMEA – UK is responsible for managing the pricing strategy for the UK. This position is responsible for leading important broad-scale pricing initiatives aimed at preserving our merchant discount rate while balancing the organization’s goal for profitable charge volume and merchant expansion; essential to the strength of our business. This person will work closely with our sales teams to develop merchant acquisition pricing strategies, our client management team (CLM) to develop retention strategies, and develop industry-level analyses on our price points.
The Manager is also responsible for supporting important broad-scale pricing initiatives aimed at preserving our merchant discount rate while balancing the organization’s goal for growing profitable charge volume and merchant expansion; essential to the strength of our business.
This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to gain deep knowledge of the Merchant business, as well as exposure to and insight from senior leaders across the Blue Box. The Manager should be a dynamic individual who can work closely with senior leaders and has the right ambition to drive change.
- Develop pricing strategies based on quantitative data analytics and provide recommendations on key financial / commercial terms during merchant negotiations
- Evaluate business cases for various merchant pricing scenarios, model P&L impacts, and perform sensitivity analyses to drive agile business decisions
- Develop and regularly present to senior leaders on merchant pricing negotiation strategies and recommendations
- Create compelling, merchant-facing materials for client negotiations, which articulate and quantify the AXP value proposition
- Present directly to merchants and explain American Express’ pricing philosophy, premium to competitor bank card rates, industry pricing, and pricing proposals – lead discussions and negotiations as appropriate
- Draw merchant-specific insights from internal data (transactions, merchant profiles, etc.) and external data (analyst reports, industry research, etc.) to identify key opportunities and challenges during a negotiation
- Build relationships across merchant acquisition and client management teams (CLM) that drive team accountability and ensure goal achievement
- Contribute to the ongoing development of an infrastructure that identifies opportunities for sharing best business practices, streamlines implementation of contract/payment terms, and other internal processes
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience with a Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
- Strategic thought leader with the ability to work through unstructured problems and develop clear action plans
- Strong aptitude for analytics; demonstrated ability to develop sophisticated financial models and draw value-added insights from large amounts of financial data
- Strong relationship management and collaboration skills with the ability to influence others in situations where there may be different goals
- Excellent communication skills – both written and oral — with experience leading discussions with Senior Leaders where decisions need to be made based on the facts presented
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, dynamic team environment, which places a premium on driving results
- Creative thinker who is willing to question traditional ways of doing things and develop new approaches to old challenges
- Strong project management skills with full ownership from analysis through to implementation
- Passionate focus on the customer; demonstrated desire to understand and solve for customer needs
- Demonstrated ability to handle multiple requests and prioritize accordingly
- Capacity to remain calm and flexible under pressure
Why American Express?
Talk to our people and you’ll find out what we’re really all about. Open, creative, risk-taking, collaborative and innovative are just some of the expressions you’ll hear. It’s our culture that makes American Express an outstanding place to work, and a big part of why we regularly win best workplace awards all over the world including recognition amongst the World’s Best Multinational Workplaces by Great Place to Work and Glassdoor’s 2017 Best Places to Work. If you’re ready to take on a challenge and make an impact, you owe it to yourself to launch or grow your career here.
To complete your application please click on the links below. However, if you require any assistance with the completion of this process – or need any reasonable adjustments to be made – then please contact the Recruitment Team on or (for Russia based candidates ).
Schedule (Full-Time/Part-Time): Full-time