Location: Milton Park, Abingdon (OX14)
Job type: Permanent
Tokamak Energy aims to accelerate the development of fusion energy by combining two emerging technologies – spherical tokamaks and high-temperature superconductors.
The company was originally established in 2009 to design and develop small Spherical Tokamaks and compact fusion reactors for a range of applications. Since then, the strategy has evolved to prioritise building a pilot plant to exceed fusion energy breakeven.
Person and Job Specification
The candidate will be part of the Electrical Engineering team. The team is responsible for the design, installation and commissioning of a large number of pulsed power supplies as well as installation and commissioning of the controls, diagnostics and safety systems for the ST40 programme.
Duties will include
- High power busbar design and installation including temperature monitoring system.
- Earthing design and layout for stared system capable of handling high power impulse currents.
- Installation and commissioning of high voltage power supplies and high current power supplies.
- Design, commission and installation of PLC and HMI for equipment interlocks and LabVIEW for power supply control and remote user interface communications.
- Design and use of signal processing using analogue / digital filtering.
- Analogue (OpAmps etc) and digital electronic design.
- Design of risk assessments and installation method statements.
Contacts and Communication
- Liaising with other engineers responsible for cooling water systems, vacuum and physics parameters.
- Liaising with various manufacturing companies.
- Internally the post holder will communicate with the Electrical Engineering Group manager, other mechanical and electrical engineers working within the Company.
- Externally the post holder will be responsible for the management of electrical engineering manufacture contracts and will therefore have to liaise with manufacturers and component suppliers.
Personal Skills and Attributes
- Usage of Electrical circuit simulators for electrical simulation. E.g. PLECS or PSPICE or other.
- Power electronics experience, including simulation and design, and hands-on experience. Using SCRs, IGBTs, Supercapacitors and other power components.
- Experience with high voltage systems. Understanding the dangers of HV and requirements for personnel safety (discharge, redundancy), equipment safety (HV clearances).
Experience with pulsed power, calculation of pulsed heating limitations and current paths in pulsed systems.
- Earthing system experience. Knowledge, understanding and application of BS7671 and Electricity Safety, Quality and Continuity Regulations 2002.
Knowledge of interreference and magnetic field generation, pulsed transformers, and the interaction between adjacent coils. Understanding of mutual inductances, self-inductances. Experience of loop voltages and other voltages, magnetic fields that could be potentially harmful or damaging to people or equipment.
- 3D and 2D CAD experience. E.g. AutoCAD, SolidEdge or other.
- Fully conversant with engineering drawings and circuit diagrams.
- PCB Creation, using OrCad, EagleCad or other.
- Experience in high voltage and high current pulsed power supplies.
- Knowledge of pulsed power supply topologies.
- Electrical power engineering.
- Experience in PLC and communication interfacing.
- Knowledge of brazing (copper, stainless), soldering (lead, tin, indium), and other metal bonding techniques. Particularly in the applications of high power electrical systems.
- Good fault finding skills, using oscilloscopes and other test equipment.
- Good communication skills.
- The post will involve occasional travel within the UK and overseas.
- HV isolation effects under vacuum. Isolation effects of cooling and cryogenic systems.
- Experience of LN testing of coils or coil components subject to cryogen environment.
- Experience handling LN.
- High power electrical experience, building power busbars, coil feedthrough and electrical jointing.
- Experience calculating magnetic fields, forces, resistive heating. Ability to design systems to restrain these forces, hoop stresses, for pulsed coils, pulsed transformer systems.
- Experience with electrical insulation materials, such as GP03/G10/FR4, resins (mixing de-gassing under vacuum), applications of different resins.
- Real-time controls experience using FPGAs, PLCs, microcontrollers or other systems.
- Experience using PID controllers.
- Experience of using temperature monitoring (PT100, PT1000, Thermocouple) systems.
- Experience using MATLAB/Octave (or other) for modelling and scientific analysis.
- Previous experience within a scientific facility or similar.
- Degree in Electrical Electronic Engineering
- Experience of working on pulsed power supplies
- Relevant experience at an appropriate level.
- Health & safety IOSH or NEBOSH
Knowledge and Experience:
- High voltage and High current power supplies.
- Working knowledge of electrical power engineering control interface through PLC controls and LabVIEW.
- 3D and 2D CAD.
- Knowledge and understanding of fault finding techniques using test and diagnostic equipment.
- Earthing system.
- Busbar systems.
- Pulsed supply for TF joint measurement.
- Feedthrough and cabling systems.
- Electrical circuit simulation.
- PCB Creation.
- Experience handling LN.
- Design of Power electronics, including simulation, and hands-on experience. Using SCRs, IGBTs, Supercapacitors and other power components.
Personal skill and Qualities
- Demonstrate ability to work effectively as part of a team, or alone.
- Willingness to learn new techniques and technologies.
- Effective written and oral communication skills.
- Strong self-motivation.
- Ability to be involved in a wide range of technologies as an electrical engineer.
- Good organized approach to complex problems.
- Able to make infrequent and short overseas and UK visits as part of work and training.
- Ability to work effectively with minimal supervision.
- Ability to devise and operate effective project schedules.
- 25 Days Holiday (plus bank holidays)
- Company Pension scheme: Company contribution of 5% of salary after 3 months’ service
- Eligible for company share option scheme after one years’ service
- Company bonus scheme, discretionary, dependent on performance
- Private medical insurance after 3 months’ service
- Childcare voucher scheme